Saturday, April 25, 2015

Week 16 Prompt

 First, how have reading and books changed since you were a child, for you specifically? 

Answer: For me reading had changed only in the sense of what format I am reading. As a child I simply read physical books. Now as an adult I read E-books and listen to audio books regularly. I am also reading more. As a child I mainly only read for class and through college I did a lot of reading and my personal reading was put to the side. My teen years I read the most for personal pleasure but through the summer when I had time. I am still reading for other reasons now it is my job. I lead a book discussion group at my branch but it doesn't feel like work. After finishing my degree I plan to do a lot more reading. 

Second, talk a little about what you see in the future for reading, books, or publishing - say 20 years from now.

Answer: In the future I think I will still continue to read more but probably more E-books. As more and more publishers start to publish more E-books I think they will become more interactive. People always want more and the E-book format allows for so many new possibilities. I do not think traditional publishing will be completely eliminated because physical books still have some advantages. Physical books do not require any batteries. They also do not require an internet connection. Many readers still like regular books. I think the future will have a mix of both formats. 

3 comments:

  1. I love audio-books too. I am in agreement with your point about e-book increases, e-books will no doubt have multimedia aspects & options. There will be opportunities in author audio, music & sound-effects. Real books are self-sustaining & aesthetic...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same thoughts when it comes to physical books. Physical books will never die, although some people think they will. As you mentioned some people just prefer that format to read in and others don't know how to use e-readers (not everybody can work them lol). I know that I read both, but if it came down to it I would pick a physical copy over e-books. For my final project I did the option with the readers profiles, and part of the information that I gathered for that was the preferred format. Almost everyone chose physical copies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also don't think physical books are going to completely disappear. An example that just came to mind: pop-up books. A pop-up books just wouldn't work as an eBook. I am actually beginning to prefer eBooks because they are so convenient. I think as smart devices become even more common, eBooks are going to continue increasing in popularity.

    ReplyDelete