Monday, March 30, 2015

Historical Fiction

Bring Up the Bodies
By Hilary Mantel 

Summary
After divorcing his first wife Katherine, King Henry VIII, married Anne Boleyn but not for long as he becomes discontent. This is the second book in the Wolf Hall series told from the perspective of Thomas Cromwell, the King's Master Secretary. Cromwell, assists the King in all things political religious and personal. Cromwell was a key player in helping Henry divorce his first wife Katherine. After a visit to Wolf Hall the King confides in Cromwell that he has doubts about his marriage to Anne. Although his doubts may have been prompted by his desire for Jane Seymour a lady in waiting. Katherine, the exiled first wife is dying alone while her daughter Mary is under house arrest. Then shortly after Katherine dies, Anne has a miscarriage and it was believed to be a son. Henry begins his plot to be rid of Anne after Anne fails to produce an heir and she becomes too outspoken.  Cromwell works cunningly to assist the King in dissolving his second marriage. The people did not recognize the King's marriage to Anne as a valid marriage so dissolving a second marriage is not a challenge for Cromwell. After threats and torture of Anne's male retainers Cromwell has what he needs. Cromwell knows how to walk the fine line of the King's ever changing desires, but Cromwell understands his head could be on the chopping block next.

Characteristics of Historical Fiction
  • The story of King Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn has been told over and over and has been made into books and films. This retelling is historically accurate.
  • The language used is reflective of the time period 1535-1536.
  • The story ends on a somber note with the execution of Anne Boleyn.
  • There are several moral issues at play in this novel. The biggest issue is the King's abuse of power to divorce his wives when he was tired of them so that he could remarry. Then there is  Cromwell who is really playing the devil's advocate to the King. 
  • The story is leisurely paced and richly detailed there are five pages just for the list or characters and two pages of tables for family information. 
Read-a-likes
The Favored Queen by Carolly Erickson
The May Bride by Suzannah Dunn
The Tudor Secret by C.W. Gortner
Queen's Gambit by Elizabeth Fremantle
Merivel by Rose Tremain
The Fifth Queen and How She Came to Court by Ford Madox Ford

5 comments:

  1. I am so glad to see your annotation on this book. I've been dancing around it (literally, it is on a display next to my desk right now) for a while and I have heard some good things about Hilary Mantel. I also want to read Wolf Hall. I think hearing things from Thomas Cromwell is a great way to tell one of the sides of this story from fiction. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to see your annotation on this book. I've been dancing around it (literally, it is on a display next to my desk right now) for a while and I have heard some good things about Hilary Mantel. I also want to read Wolf Hall. I think hearing things from Thomas Cromwell is a great way to tell one of the sides of this story from fiction. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I must confess, it was not my cup a tea. I felt I got lost in the details and the back stories. I did not read Wolf Hall so maybe that would have helped. I did it for a book discussion.

      Delete
  3. I read "The Other Boleyn Girl" by Philippa Gregory for my historical fiction annotation. I watched the movie years ago and fell in love with the story, that is why I chose to do that book for mine. The first book in the series you chose actually came up on NoveList as a readalike for my book. I didn't realize that there were so many fiction books based around this story. The one that you did your annotation on sounds interesting as well. I will have to look into the series you covered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Historically accurate you say? I'm in! Like Lauren I have read The Other Boleyn Girl and I didn't love it, but it was a little loose with the details... I may have to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete