Kirkus-style Review
Eleanor & Park
By Rainbow Rowe
Love is bittersweet for these two misfit teens in Omaha Nebraska. Park, referred to as the odd ball Asian kid, tries to fit in with the rest of the kids in his town, until Eleanor comes along. Eleanor is the new girl, with crazy red curly hair. It doesn't help that she dresses in a way that says "look at me". On the first day Park lets Eleanor sit with him on the
bus out of pity to save her from being utterly embarrassed by Tina. Life at home is not much better. Eleanor lives with her
mother, four siblings and a drunken stepfather in a two bedroom house.
She spends her time tiptoeing around her stepfather and hiding the truth about where she goes everyday. They spend all their time together but it is never enough.
"I don't love you, Park. Sometimes I think I live for you." They know young love
never lasts forever and their relationship is holding on by a thread that may break at any moment. But their story makes you want to root for
lasting love against all the odds.
This book has been on my to read list for a very long time. I think Kirkus Reviews are set up to make a person see the whole book in just a couple sentences. You did that here. I enjoyed your take on the story, and I think your last line pulls people in and makes them want to see what this book is about.
ReplyDeleteI loved this book! Your last sentence sums it up for me. It totally made me want to root for lastin love no matter what.
ReplyDelete