For this week's assignment, my task was to go to a library and ask for help choosing a good book. The purpose of this assignment was to observe the reader's advisory interview. My experience at the library I visited was very pleasant, I received multiple book recommendations as well as received some nice author read-a-like handouts. Overall, I was very impressed with the librarians positive attitude and enthusiasm. Here is my transcript of my experience.
Library: Medium size serving community of roughly 28,000
Staff: 1 person at the reference desk, 5 other staff members in other parts of the building
Transcript:
Having never been to this library before, I toured the whole library starting on the main floor and then on to the second floor. As I arrived in the last section to tour, the non-fiction, I noticed the reference desk immediately staffed by one very attentive librarian. I tried not to provide too much eye contact at first, my intention was to just browse the shelves. However, as I got within roughly ten feet of the desk the reference librarian sitting there asked if she could help me. I felt obligated to start my inquiry since she initiated the conversation.
To her question, I asked if she could help me find a good book. She smiled and said yes and asked “What do you like to read?” I said my favorite author is David Baldacci and I just finished his book The Escape, but that I had also just read The Keepsake by Tess Gerritsen which was okay but not my favorite. She asked if I had read Gone Girl, which I commented that I had not read the book, but I had seen the movie and loved it. She immediately suggested The Girl on a Train by Paula Hawkins, if I liked books with unexpected twists. She also suggested Gentlemen and Players by Joanne Harris as a read-a-like to Gone Girl. She also handed me a read-a-like list that they had created themselves which I discovered when she asked if I would like a read-a-like list for Baldaci. This was the first time she used the computer during our interaction, which after a few quick seconds she handed me a read-a-like list for Baldacci from another library the Schaumburg Township District Library.
As we chatted, she said she reads about 200 books a year and that she also enjoys Baldacci. Two authors she felt I may like are Brad Meltzer and John Grisham. Then she strongly recommend Before I go to Sleep, A Reliable Wife, books by Liane Moriarty and The Poison Tree. A Reliable Wife, she explained takes place in Victorian times with a Downton Abbey feel and has a nice twist. Which I responded that it sounded like a book I would like. I also commented that I had heard a lot about Liane Moriarty's books and would give them a try.At this point I asked about all their read-a-like lists which she said they were working on. I asked if they have Novelist which she said they did not which is why they have read-a-like lists for patrons. We had a very pleasant interaction, it felt like a friend recommending a good book. She was very passionate and open to talking about books. Having taken up so much of her time I thanked her proceeded on my way.

Your experience sounds great! I feel like I hear more about The Girl on the Train everyday. I am intrigued by the buzz. I watched the movie adaptation of Before I Go to Sleep, but haven't read the book. I thought the movie was pretty good and am interested in reading the book.
ReplyDelete