The Keepsake by Tess Gerritsen
The
discovery of a mummy, in the basement of the Boston’s Crispin Museum is only
the beginning of the secrets that start to unravel. Madame X is at first
believed to be a real Egyptian mummy but an x-ray will reveal her secret. Josephine
Pulcillo, who works for the museum also has a few secrets of her own that a few
anonymous letters threaten to reveal. As other human remains are discovered, Madame
X and the other victims discovered have a little too much in common with Josephine
for it to be a coincidence. Past secrets will be revealed slowly like the
unwrapping of the perfectly preserved Madam X.
·
First chapter set up
danger as it described the mother going into the daughter room with a gun to
investigate a noise she heard.
·
This page turning
novels starts with the suspense of discovering how a two thousand year old
mummy, Madame X could have a modern day bullet wound revealed by the CT scan.
·
The story takes place
in a matter of days possibly less than a week from when the mummy was
discovered till the conclusion.
·
The threat of knowing
what is coming for Josephine starts with the notes threatening to reveal who
she is then it progresses to the threat of losing her life after her aunt dies
and she narrowly escapes.
·
The tensions builds
from discovery of more remains then the killer kills Simon the museum curator
and then kidnaps Josephine.
·
The multiple perspectives
allows for the readers to know more than the protagonist. Jane, the detective, interviews
Mr. Rose and Professor Quigley the archaeologist which reveal more of the story
unknown to Josephine. Josephine the protagonist, must find a way to get out the
situation to survive.
·
The story builds to
the confrontation of Josephine and the killer and in the end Josephine survives
and the story is resolved.
·
Face of Deception by Iris Johansen
·
1st to Die by James Patterson
·
Dust by Patricia Cornwell
·
Touch & Go by Lisa Gardner
·
The Sleeping Doll by
Jeffery Deaver

This sounds like a book that would be right up my alley! Did you enjoy it? It sounds like it has a lot of mystery interwoven with the suspense. With Patterson as a read-a-like I don't think anyone could go wrong.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a book that would be right up my alley! Did you enjoy it? It sounds like it has a lot of mystery interwoven with the suspense. With Patterson as a read-a-like I don't think anyone could go wrong.
ReplyDeletePatricia,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your analysis The Keepsake. Your description reminded me a little bit of Kathy Reich's series (that Bones is based on). It has that same element of suspense with academics. I have been meaning to read a Tess Gerritsen book for some time--she actually visited the library where I work and did a program! Because of this and the premiere of the TV series based on her books, she has become especially popular in my area.
I did enjoy it, I must admit I dropped the ball and had to read it in like 3 days which is fast for me, but it was easy because it was interesting. It is definitley a page turner and I think when I am in the mood for some suspense or a qui ck read I will check out another Tess Gerritsen book. I literally just went to the shelf and picked it, so I am glad it was a good pick.
ReplyDelete